Microwave ovens with the help of microwaves, which are high-frequency radio waves that belong to the electromagnetic spectrum family are used for cooking food. These waves are used mainly for TV broadcasting, in radar for navigation, and telecommunications use. Domestically, they have found their place in kitchens all over the world. Microwave ovens are more convenient for heating food and cooking different varieties of items and are relatively safe to use.
The design of these ovens helps in ensuring that the microwaves are contained within the ovens, and only when the device is switched on that the waves are present. Microwaves that are domestically used work at a frequency of 2450 MHz and with power mostly ranging from 500 to 1100 watts.
Benefits of a microwave oven
- Cooking in microwave ovens is safe as the risk of getting burnt is much less compared to gas stoves that are conventionally used in households. Unlike any other tool to heat or cook food, they remain cool while heating the food. Always buy a good budget microwave oven under 10,000
- Unlike baking or frying, the use of ovens prevents less chance of production of tar and char, as they lower the temperature of cooking.
- Less time is needed to heat the food when cooking in a grill or a pan if it is pre-heated in an oven. Also, microwave ovens heat up food and the vessel evenly, making sure that the cooking time is much lesser compared to other conventional methods.
- Bacon, a very popular American breakfast item, when cooked conventionally, has higher levels of carcinogenic nitrosamines than an oven.
- Less energy is used in an oven to cook small amounts of food as you can completely regulate the time and temperature of cooking.
- Compared to any traditional ovens, microwave ovens are easier to clean.
- The temperature in a microwave oven can be adjusted.
- After the completion of the time that was set for cooking, the oven turns off automatically.
- Microwaves can be used to cook as soon as it is turned on and therefore no need to pre-heat it.
- The space needed to keep a microwave oven is less and is perfect for people living in small apartments.
- Less time is needed to cook the food compared to any stove.
Limitations of the microwave oven
- It is seen through various studies that cooking or heating food through microwave ovens leads to the production of cancer-causing agents.
- It is also seen that the taste, color, and texture changes when cooked in a microwave oven.
- Cooking or heating via microwave ovens leads to the decrease in the water content in foods and hence leads to dehydration.
- Microwave ovens can’t cook food thicker than 1-1.15 inches properly and shows signs of unevenly cooked in certain parts.
So, there are both benefits as well as limitations of using microwave ovens. But, the benefits often outweigh the downsides of using microwaves. Do you have a microwave installed in your kitchen? Do you think you get more advantages out of it than disadvantages? Let us know!