A compression sock helps in relieving the pain and gives you comfort when your leg is straining too much by providing proper blood flow. Sportspeople use it, pregnant women, and bedridden people to avoid the formation of blood clots. This will prevent severe medical issues later, such as blood clots, DVT-Deep Vein Thrombosis, and issues with blood circulation. They are available in various strengths, sizes, and options. Choose the right one that suits your requirement.
Compression socks are mainly made to fit such that they squeeze the leg quite gently by stretching. These stockings are just at the tube without any on the foot area. Your legs are not covered primarily. One can purchase them at a medical shop. When prescribed, the cost is insurance covered, saving you some bucks. They are usually priced from 10 dollars to up to 100 dollars.
Who makes use of these compressions socks?
These socks are generally helpful to people:
- Suffering from diabetes, DVT or Varicose veins
- Who have undergone surgery
- Standing all day long
- Pregnant women
- Long time stretching such as pilots or in long travel
How to choose the right compression socks?
Based on the compression
The initial step is to figure out the prerequisites of the quality compression stockings. How can you determine? It is based on the main reason to wear these socks. Contact a physiotherapist if needed. The compression is determined by pressure that is measured by Hg in mm.
The compression variations are as follows:
- 15-20mm Hg- Light compression socks- It is for physiotherapy for people standing or traveling for more extended hours or for one who is having leg swelling issues.
- 20-30mm Hg-Moderate Compression socks- These are ideal for people with varicose veins.
- 30-40mm Hg- Firm Compression socks- These are perfect for individuals with blood clots, too much swelling or varicose veins.
- 40-50mm Hg- Extra firm compression socks- These socks fight mild and above cases of the thrombotic syndrome.
- 50 to 60 mm Hg- Heavy compression socks- combats cases of lymphedema and post-thrombotic syndrome.
Based on size
Sizes are variable and select according to the need for the purchase of the stocking. Knee-high stockings cover-up below knees, while thigh-high stockings cover the overall legs. Waist-high socks come up to torso area while ankle length stockings are till the ankle. Choose them according to your need to wear.
Based on the style of wear
Compression socks come in distinct colors and fabric. Females prefer sheer fabric while men prefer dark ones. For athletes, these socks ought to be durable and made of breathable material.
Compression Socks are beneficial in keeping your legs from getting achy and tired. If you are suffering from swelling of ankles or legs, varicose veins or DVT, etc., these stockings are relieving. So, they keep your blood flow right in your legs. Choose them according to your need and reason for the wear. Your physiotherapist can measure the size that covers the area of therapy in the leg area and suggest you the size. No more tired, achy, and sore legs with compression socks.